Our team & you
Within 30 days, you’ll…
- Meet the developers in Amsterdam and learn about our architecture, style guidelines, best practices and build systems.
- Take charge of existing team members in London and lead recruitment of all remaining open positions, building a multi-talented, dedicated and efficient team.
- Work with the Lead Architect and your analogue in Amsterdam to define the desired approach for all feature development undertaken by the Scrums your developers participate in.
- Become personally part of a Scrum team working on the end-to-end development of a single feature set within the Veon app. Our Scrum teams are self-contained, comprising a product owner, scrum master, embedded QA, designer and backend and mobile developers.
- Review our development process and propose improvements or alternatives.
- Help build a coherent strategy for our analytics and data gathering within the app.
Within 60 days, you’ll…
- Continue to build your team and improve their knowledge and efficiency through mentoring and diligent process.
- Become a go-to person on all things Android, remaining available at all times, not just to your teammates, but also to Product, QA, Design and others (both in London and Amsterdam).
- Begin paying off the project’s technical debt, through refactoring, rearchitecting and debugging.
- Lead investigations into upcoming features in the roadmap and look for innovative, reliable and maintainable solutions.
- Collaborate with our build engineers and help define and improve our tooling to streamline our review and release processes.
Within 90 days, you’ll…
- Have improved team efficiency and planning clarity, thanks to clearly communicated goals, well defined technical stories, process improvement, effective automated testing and consistent team velocity.
- Continue to deliver features and improve the product through your scrum team.
- Discuss your preference for the next quarter with your manager. Some scrums are provisional, so their members are repurposed once their deliverables are met, while permanent scrums have members who can be cycled each quarter.
What else will you do as Android Developer?
- Maintain a constant collaboration with your direct counterpart and colleagues in Amsterdam to ensure a continuous alignment on all technical, process and management practices.
- Employ, mentor and enforce test driven coding (TDD) principals, allowing us to ship often with a high degree of confidence.
- You will own the code review process for the Android developers in London, ensuring that code reviews are performed in a timely and diligent fashion, validating logic, style guides, code architecture and other best practices.
- You will provide guidance, mentoring and suggest training, either directly or via delegation, to improve the knowledge and skills of the Android developers reporting to you.
- Ensure the platform has testability, scalability and performance, along with a high degree of maintenance automation. Ensure code is kept up-to-date through regular re-factoring of legacy components.
- Remove technical impediments.
A bit about you:
- Proven experience working in mid-size or large teams of developers (6+)
- Mastery of Git and deep knowledge of all its features
- Profound experience of the Android platform in high-load mobile environments
- Deep experience in object-oriented programming
- Experience in setting design and technology guidelines for new products
- Mastery of Java/RxJava; different versions of the Android SDK; Kotlin, Espresso, Gradle
- TDD approach to development
- Understanding of applications, integration and network architectures
- High workflow flexibility and strong teamwork and communication skills
- Experience using an Agile development methodology (e.g. Scrum)
Apply for job
VEON is an international communications and technology company driven by a vision to unlock new opportunities for our customers as they navigate the digital world. Present in some of the world’s most dynamic markets, VEON provides more than 235 million customers with voice, fixed broadband, data and internet services. VEON’s heritage as a pioneer in technology is the driving force behind a major transformation focused on bringing the digital world to each and every customer.
- Address Netherlands